Step 1: Clarify all steps, requirements, costs and timeline
The length of time your visa takes to be processed will depend on a number of factors, including your country of residence. Check with the relevant consulate of Kazakhstan nearest you to learn more about what to expect throughout the application process. Also make sure to work with our Admissions team throughout the application process so you can manage your travel and arrival to Kazakhstan accordingly.
Step 2: Get a Letter of Invitation (LOI)
Before students can apply for a visa, the Support staff must obtain a Letter of Invitation from the Kazakhstan government on the prospective student's behalf. This can take up to 14 days. Students must email all required documents to us as early as possible (at least one month before the start of the term).
The Admissions team will review the following documents and then submit them to the Office of Migration Service in Almaty. Once the Office of Migration Services issues a Letter of Invitation, the Support staff will send a scan of the LOI to the prospective student to use in his/hers visa application process.
To obtain Letter of Invitation (LOI) the following documents should be submitted by the candidate to the International Student Coordinator:
Electronic copy of passport identification page.
If the applicant permanently resides and plans to apply for a visa out of their country of citizenship: an electronic copy of the document confirming the long-term stay (e.g. residence/work permit, long-term visitor/dependent visa with an official translation into Kazakh or Russian).
Admission letter from DMU Kazakhstan: As soon as you receive your letter, check to make sure all your personal information is correct and matches the information in your passport. Contact the Admissions team immediately if anything is incorrect.
By submitting an early application for a Letter of Invitation and working closely with the Admissions team you can increase your chances of getting a visa in a timely manner, although it varies based on your country of residence and citizenship.
Step 3: Apply for the visa
Once the student receives a Letter of Invitation from DMU Kazakhstan, they should follow the instructions on the websites of the Embassy/Consulate of the Republic of Kazakhstan of your home country to apply for a visa.
Typically, the following documents are required as part of this process:
- Copy of the Letter of Invitation
- Visa application form (from the Consulate of the Republic of Kazakhstan of the student's home country or country of permanent residence)
- Admission letter from DMU Kazakhstan: As soon as you receive your letter, check to make sure all your personal information is correct and matches the information in your passport.
- Passport (original + two copies; valid for at least six months beyond the length of the requested visa and have at least two blank pages to stamp the visa)
- Copy of flight itinerary to Kazakhstan
- One passport-style photograph (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm)
- Additional supporting documents: bank statements, health insurance, proof of accommodation in Almaty (hotel, dormitory, etc.)
- Pay the visa fee (varies from country to country)