- In bound and out bound flight
- Monthly accommodation allowance
- Subsidised travel allowance
- Private health insurance
This is an exciting opportunity to join De Montfort University, Kazakhstan (DMUK)- the first international branch campus of a leading UK university in Kazakhstan, delivering programmes in Business and Law, IT and Design, leading to the award of a prestigious UK degree.
DMUK opened its doors in September 2021 and promises to be an ambitious, globally-minded institution with a focus on delivering quality teaching and learning, and a campus-wide focus on providing a sector-leading student experience.
A culturally rich university with a commitment to the public good, we will strive to maintain a stimulating and inclusive environment where staff and students are able to thrive. The university will be a vibrant, multicultural hub of learning, creativity and innovation that never surrenders to convention.
Our goal is to become a leading careers-focused, enterprising university in Kazakhstan, one which both prepares our students for the jobs of the future and provides the innovation to drive that future sustainably and inclusively. We are therefore recruiting energetic, dynamic individuals who enjoy challenges who will embrace the University’s and together as a strong and progressive team will help shape DMUK’s future direction and success.
For this key role the University is seeking to appoint an individual with proven academic leadership credentials and with the ability to inspire and lead a diverse range of staff.
The Academic Director is the key contact person with the UK University partner to help ensure that the students at DMUK have an equivalent experience to those who study at the UK University. They are also a key factor in relaying information to the UK University to assure the UK partner that the quality and standards at DMUK are appropriate but also to learn from the partners through their best practice.
The postholder will support the CEO/Head and academic colleagues at the UK university in the delivery of DMUK’s academic mission and strategic plan. This position is both challenging and rewarding, with a broad range of responsibilities. The responsibilities of this role fall into three broad areas: strategic and academic leadership; organisational development and effectiveness; and building strategic partnerships and relationships.
- Providing leadership and vision for the Learning and Teaching pillar of the university, ensuring teaching excellence, embracing innovation and encouraging diversity.
- Academic Lead for all curriculum related areas and directly liaise with the partner UK university upholding and ensuring the same level of rigour, high standards and quality.
- Understand the requirements of the UK university programmes and have knowledge of assessment and academic quality processes.
- Leading the design, development, oversight and implementation of the University’s strategies for all matters relating to learning, teaching and student experience.
- Overseeing standards and enhancement of the University’s portfolio of taught programmes to strengthen our reputation for excellence. This will include governance arrangements for quality enhancement.
- Providing executive oversight to the campus libraries, ensuring the provision of modern study space with integrated library services and resources.
- Leading pedagogic, curriculum design and assessment discussions with faculty academic leaders and representatives of relevant professional and academic services.
- Ability to manage and successfully lead academic teams towards sustained and tangible impact.
- Development of overarching strategies that support teaching, learning and the development of professional practice for all academics, as appropriate.
- Ensure all aspects of learning, teaching and assessment within programmes are carried out to the highest of standards, supporting successful outcomes for students; that students receive innovative, informed and engaging teaching.
- Ensure that high levels of academic quality and standards are maintained, including the ongoing close monitoring of student outcomes (progression and achievement) and related
- Oversee the management of student data and records in order to track and monitor student progress across all programs.
- Develop and apply innovative approaches to improving the learning environment, teaching and/or assessment and feedback methods by reflecting on teaching design and delivery and obtaining and analysing feedback.
- Lead on driving digital learning and innovative pedagogy across HE and the wider organisation.
- Contribute to activities associated with curriculum development, including validation, accreditation and course monitoring.
- Responsible for the recruitment and development of all academics and the integration of them into the wider academic community across DMUK.
- Responsible for ensuring that all teaching modules are appropriately resourced and that teaching content including assessments are developed and delivered within the agreed schedules.
- Ensure an agreed academic workload balance including teaching, tutoring, assessments and attendance at required boards and committees to ensure all programmes deliver a robust teaching schedule.
- Encourage and facilitate entrepreneurial ability and drive across the subject areas.
- Attend DMUK Open Days and external marketing and corporate meetings.
- Liaise with the Facilities Manager and the Director of Operations to ensure that campus (estates) master-planning is shaped by academic planning.
Any other duties:
- To comply with all relevant University policies and procedures.
- In the context of University and personal development to carry out any other duties that are commensurate with the role.
- Seek out new opportunities and models which will significantly increase institutional capacity and capability for academic business development.
- To assist with other administrative duties within the University if required.
- To attend University Open Days and external corporate meetings and events.
EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Applicants should have a relevant Masters qualification and preferably hold a PhD.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- A significant record of success in developing a high-performance culture at a senior academic leadership level with a proven ability to build effective delivery teams.
- Track record of course development and teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level including on-line delivery.
- Have good understanding of the key elements of effective teaching, learning and assessment.
- Familiar with the management of HE Teaching allocation models and timetabling.
- Demonstrate a willingness to understand national policy as it relates to taught provision in Kazakhstan.
- Significant experience in designing and delivering university programmes.
- Evidence of a significant and sustained personal track record of success in developing and leading important strategic initiatives with university-wide impact.
- A significant record of success in leading people and managing financial resources.
- An understanding of the importance of research within teaching and learning and preferably have a track record of being research active.
- Experience of HE validation and approval processes, preferably within a UK context.
- Ability to organize own workload.
- IT Literate and committed to exploit technology to support learning platforms.
- Excellent communication, ambassadorial and networking skills.