- In bound and out bound flight
- Monthly accommodation allowance
- Subsidised travel allowance
- Private health insurance
This is an exciting opportunity to join De Montfort University, Kazakhstan (DMUK) – the first international branch campus of a leading UK university in Kazakhstan, delivering programmes in Business and Law, IT and Graphic Design; leading to the award of a prestigious UK degree from the UK university.
DMUK opened its doors in September 2021 and is an ambitious, globally-minded institution with a focus on delivering quality teaching and learning, and a campus-wide focus on providing a sector-leading student experience.
A culturally rich university with a commitment to the public good, we will strive to maintain a stimulating and inclusive environment where staff and students are able to thrive. The university will be a vibrant, multicultural hub of learning, creativity and innovation that never surrenders to convention. Our goal is to become a leading careers-focused, enterprising university in Kazakhstan, one which both prepares our students for the jobs of the future and provides the innovation to drive that future sustainably and inclusively. We are therefore recruiting energetic, dynamic individuals who enjoy challenges, who will embrace the University’s values and together as a strong team will help shape DMUK’s future direction and success.
The Director of Student Services provides strategic leadership and operational management of a range of administration services. The Director of Student Services will be responsible for the effective management of Recruitment and Admissions, Student Services, Creative Team and Marketing and Events. A key element of this role will be to support the development of the registry services, student experience, recruitment and admissions, Creative, marketing and events and provide vision and direction to support the continued growth of the University.
The post holder will be responsible for:
- complying with regulatory requirements providing advice to the Senior Management team on matters connected with academic data. They will work closely with the Academic staff and Heads of Departments to ensure effective administration to support the University’s staff and students.
- be responsible for leading a compelling, insight driven marketing and recruitment strategy and contributing to the creative content of marketing collateral
- Oversee high profile events hosted at the university
- lead on delivering an excellent applicant experience which informs and empowers applicants along their journey into higher education, ensuring that the distinctiveness of our curriculum offer, and wider student experience is presented in a compelling and relevant way to a diverse range of applicants.
- Develop a leading careers and professional skills strategy including internship placement program resulting in the highest graduate employment rate within 6 months of graduating
- to lead, design and implement the University’s strategy for student outcomes and experience throughout their educational journey including student support and welfare, extra curricular activities, global educational exchange programs
- contributing and developing the ongoing vision of the School.
- Develop and deliver plans and policies to maintain and improve the standards of service
delivery within the registry function, with a view to improving the student experience (pastoral, social, residential and sporting) the provision of student support services, and enhancing the support provided to staff.
- Leadership responsibility for the teams working in the Student Services, Recruitment and Admissions, Marketing and Events and Creative areas
- Work closely with the academic staff to improve, through data-informed activity, the learning experiences of students, the working lives of staff and outcomes for students and society.
- Develop the pastoral services to include Personal Tutoring within the university, Careers provision, health and well being, Internship program delivery and Global visits and exchange programs.
- Taking a data-led and continuous improvement approach to your work which will allow you to design University-wide initiatives that deliver optimal results across student satisfaction, continuation, completion, engagement.
- Work with the academic staff to monitor and track student progress through the use of data i.e. examination marks, attendance etc.
- Develop intervention strategies to support at risk students and ensure that all students realise their potential.
- Lead and operationalise a vision for the optimisation of policies, processes and infrastructure that support Student discipline, code of conduct, the recruitment and admission of all students studying taught programmes, student health and well-being
- Ensure that student assessment is well-managed; that processes are secure and fair;
that assessment outcomes are correctly recorded; certificates and transcripts are
correct; and that progression and examination boards are well-supported to enable
them to function properly and fairly in maintaining academic standards.
- Ensure that individual student issues – extenuating circumstances, complaints and
academic appeals, student disciplinary and academic misconduct_– are fairly and
consistently managed according to the procedures with decisions taken in a timely manner, recorded accurately and clearly communicated to the student concerned and
others as necessary.
- Ensure that processes relating to enrolment and re-enrolment are efficient, effective,
robust, and support the University’s recruitment, admission and retention of students.
- Be responsible for the accuracy, integrity and quality of student record data, to enable
regulatory data return, and to produce management information data to support strategic planning and operational delivery across the University.
- Be responsible for assurance of accuracy, integrity and academic quality and standards
– including external examining, course approval and course periodic review.
- Provide a registry service that ensures:
- all regulatory and statutory requirements are complied with on a timely basis
- a consistent and coordinated approach to administrative support
- effective reporting and monitoring mechanisms so that a confident and supportive
liaison exists between the administrative staff, senior academics and other administrative units of the University
- that staff are deployed flexibly to meet variations in workload
- To contribute to the strategic management and development of the University. Participate in committees and working groups to help develop plans and oversee the implementation of change.
- To liaise with the Head of Finance on issues regarding student fees and student finance.
- To ensure that information systems for student records are developed and maintained and accurate information is provided in line with requirements.
- Positioning the University to respond effectively to new initiatives in higher education, including the development of appropriate partnerships, locally, nationally and internationally.
- Acting as a strong advocate, both internally and externally, for value of university education in contributing to social, economic and cultural development.
- Any other duties:
- To comply with all relevant University policies and procedures.
- In the context of University and personal development to carry out any other duties
that are commensurate with the role
- Seek out new opportunities and models which will significantly increase institutional capacity and capability for academic business development.
- To assist with other administrative duties within the University if required.
- To attend University Open Days and external corporate meetings and events.
EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Applicants should have a Bachelors degree and/or Masters.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
You will be an excellent leader with the ability to influence stakeholders across the academic community, professional services, and customer and commercial teams, through your collaborative way of working and solution-focussed approach.
- Substantial experience in strategic leadership and successfully delivering enhancement in areas relevant to the Director of Student Services role.
- Strong working understanding and knowledge of national HE issues relating to academic administration, including academic regulations, assessment, student recruitment and admissions, student finance, student records, statutory returns, academic and regulatory frameworks. Strong judgement and effective decision making, including the ability to deal with sensitive and confidential issues
- Excellent administrative, interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to prepare reports and write policies for Senior Management and Committees and the ability to deliver a high-quality service to external and internal customers
- Ability to influence at all levels of the organisation
- Strong organisational skills together with the ability to prioritise and delegate effectively including change and project management experience
- Strong understanding of student health and well being agenda and a genuine commitment to providing students with a high quality professional and personal service and university experience.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent IT skills, including Microsoft Office
- Strong knowledge of student database systems and reporting
- Knowledge of current further education issues and developments.
- Significant experience in Higher Education administration in a wide variety of areas, including administration, planning, statutory returns, research and quality and standards
- Experience of international recruitment and knowledge of processes and requirements
- Experience of managing student data returns processes
- Experience of managing and developing staff, balancing workloads and achieving goals under pressure
- Experience of initiating and implementing policy changes,
- Operational management of data protection and records management within a HEI
- Experience of monitoring budgets/resources
- Experience of leading committees
- Significant experience in a senior academic leadership role with a personal track record of success gained in a large and complex operating environment that has been subject to transformation and behavioural change.
- A significant record of success in developing a high-performance culture at a senior academic leadership level with a proven ability to build effective delivery teams.
- Demonstrable evidence of a thorough understanding of national policy as it relates to taught provision in Kazakhstan
- Significant experience in designing and delivering university programmes.
- Evidence of a significant and sustained personal track record of success in developing and leading important strategic initiatives with university-wide impact.
- A significant record of success in leading people and managing financial resources.