Information Technologies Faculty
BSc Business Data Analytics
The field of data analytics is becoming increasingly more relevant and important. Insight-driven businesses are said to be growing at an average of more than 30 per cent each year, creating a demand for professionals skilled in data analytics.
This course provides a broad understanding of information systems coupled with in-depth exploration of analytics knowledge and concepts to help you derive valuable information and insights from data. The course covers a range of subjects to prepare for a career in the sector.
Students are exposed to industry-standard concepts, tools and technologies, exploring the fundamental underlying principles of data analytics.
On graduating from this course, our students are equipped with the skills needed for successful careers in industry or academia, as competent and independent lifelong learners. The programme will prepare you for careers in fields such as data and systems analysis and design, system, security, project and knowledge management, big data architect roles, data consultant roles and business consultancy.
Reasons to choose
Gain an industry-recognised qualification and a skill set sought by employers across the industry.
Learn from DMU Leicester’s computing experience built over more than 50 years, a long-standing history allowing you to draw on a wealth of research and academic expertise.
Computer science and informatics research at DMU Leicester was ranked third for its research power among modern UK universities in the latest Research Excellence Framework (2014), which is the system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions.
DMU Leicester computer science and engineering and technology subjects have scored highly in the Times Higher Education’s 2020 World University Rankings, meaning you can benefit from the outstanding level of research, teaching and learning on offer at DMU Leicester.
- Foundations of Computing
- Programming in Python
- Data Analytics and Statistics
- Information Systems Analysis and Design
- Advanced Data Analytics and Visualisation
- Operational Research
- Introduction to Information Security
- Information and Database Development
- Integrated Project
- Advanced Statistics for Business
- Advanced Business Modelling
- Business Systems Solution
- *Privacy and Data Protection
- *Database Management and Programming
- *Data Mining
- *Information and Communication Technologies for Development ICT4D
Note: All modules are subject to change in order to keep content current.
De Montfort University Kazakhstan (DMUK) is dedicated to providing its students with a cutting-edge education combining academic knowledge and real-world industry experience.
DMUK achieves this goal through its Industry Academies and partnerships with leading companies that offer specialized training and certification programs. The approved academies at DMUK are the Red Hat Academy, Palo Alto Networks Cybersecurity Academy, and IBM SkillsBuild. Each academy focuses on specific areas of expertise, providing students with valuable skills and certifications to enhance their employability.
The Red Hat Academy at DMUK is designed to equip students with expertise in open-source technologies. Red Hat, a global leader in open-source solutions, collaborates with DMUK to offer certificate courses covering various topics. Students have the opportunity to gain certifications such as:
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA): This certification validates skills in system administration, including tasks such as installing and configuring Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE): Building upon the RHCSA, this certification focuses on advanced system administration tasks, such as setting up security controls and troubleshooting.
- Red Hat Certified Enterprise Application Developer (RHCEAD): This certification emphasizes the ability to build Java EE apps on Red Hat platforms using core APIs for secure, reliable microservices. It validates expertise in JAX-RS, JAAS, CDI, JMS, and beyond.
In collaboration with Palo Alto Networks, a leading cybersecurity company, DMUK's Cybersecurity Academy provides students with in-depth knowledge and practical skills in cybersecurity. Certificate courses offered by this academy include:
- Palo Alto Networks Certified Cybersecurity Entry-level Technician (PCCET): This entry-level certification covers foundational cybersecurity concepts, network security, and threat prevention
- Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Administrator (PCNSA): Focusing on the configuration and management of Palo Alto Networks' next-generation firewalls, this certification is crucial for those entering the field of network security.
At DMUK, IBM SkillsBuild focuses on delivering a versatile learning experience through generalized courses that cover a spectrum of digital disciplines. Through these courses, students can gain expertise in areas such as:
- Data Science and Analytics: The curriculum includes modules on data analysis, machine learning, and data visualization, enabling students to develop a robust foundation in these critical areas, enhancing their overall proficiency in the dynamic field of data science and analytics
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML): Students learn to design and implement AI solutions, preparing them for roles in the rapidly evolving field of artificial intelligence
- Cloud Computing: The Cloud Computing curriculum equips students with knowledge of cloud computing concepts, services, and deployment models. Students gain a deep understanding of the principles and practices in cloud technology, preparing them for diverse responsibilities within cloud computing
Moreover, the IBM SkillsBuild partnership facilitates access to crucial software downloads, enabling hands-on learning experiences. Students can leverage IBM's resources to practice and apply the concepts they learn in these courses. This practical exposure enhances their understanding of industry-relevant technologies.
These collaborative initiatives enhance academic journey and ensure they are well-prepared for the challenges and opportunities of the ever-evolving technology landscape.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Students in the final year of secondary education institutions;
Students in the final year of technical, vocational, post-secondary and higher education institutions;
Graduates from secondary, post-secondary or higher education institutions.
As part of the selection process the Admissions team will consider the following
Your Qualifications + English Language ability + Personal Statement + Reference (Letter of Recommendation from your last education institution)
- High School Diploma*
- 5 GCSE/IGCSE’s at A*- E, or two GCE A levels (grades A- E), or three GCE AS levels (grades A-E)
2. English Language
We care about your success.
Having a good foundation in English that you will further develop and enhance during your studies with us will give you the confidence and skills that will set you up for success.
The standard entry requirement is IELTS 5.0 (no component below 5.0) and TOEFL iBT 35 out of 120 with each section (Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing) to be not less than 9.
3. Personal Statement
As part of the selection process we will ask you to submit a short statement in English to describe your ambitions, skills, and experience. Your personal statement supports your application to study at the university. It’s a chance for you to say why you’d like to study a particular course or subject, and what skills and experience you possess that show your passion for your chosen field. It is an opportunity for you to write about YOU!
4. Letter of Recommendation from your last education institution
You will need to provide a reference letter from your previous school or college’s teacher, counsellor, or principal.
The course is part of DMU Leicester’s Cyber Security Centre, which influences the government and corporations in their approach to cyber security. This shapes the curriculum so that you learn what is important. It also grants you privileged access to career opportunities. In the first year, you will normally attend around 13–15 hours of timetabled taught sessions each week, split across a variety of lectures, small group activities and practical laboratory work.
Assessment is made up of roughly 25 per cent end-of-year examination and 75 per cent coursework in each year. The coursework takes a variety of forms, with frequent laboratory-based phase tests providing early feedback on progress. In the second year, more substantial assignments are set, including a research study. In the final year, assessment is typically by coursework with some specialist optional modules assessed by exams.
Opportunities and careers
This programme has been developed to help give students the skills needed for careers in the cyber security industry.
Graduates have excellent opportunities to pursue careers in industry, government, or law enforcement in roles such as a security analyst, penetration tester, forensic investigator, or cyber security engineer. Previous graduates from our cyber security programmes have gone on to work for organisations such as Deloitte, GCHQ, Airbus, and Rolls-Royce.
For September 2023/24 entry, our tuition fees for full-time undergraduate local and international students are 12,500$.
We will be offering a large number of discounts and scholarships as part of our offering.
Our Admissions team are here to provide you with advice on all aspects of money matters, including tuition fees, financial help and on funding your studies.
Apply and pay your security deposit by 15th January 2023 and take advantage of the following offer:
- receive early bird discount by paying of 8% for your first year’s tuition fees
- you pay 11,500 USD
Apply and pay your security deposit by 15th May 2023 and take advantage of the following offer:
- receive early bird discount by paying of 5% for your first year’s tuition fees
- you pay 11,875 USD
Your tuition fee is fixed at 12,500 USD for the remaining 3 years of study
- no fee increases!
Apply and pay full payment in advance and take and advantage of the following offers:
- 5% discount by paying for 1 year in advance
- 7% discount by paying for 2 years in advance
- 8% discount by paying for 3 years in advance
- 10% discount by paying for 4 years in advance
You must be the sibling, spouse or child of someone who is either currently studying on, or has graduated from, a full-time course here at DMU Kazakhstan. That relative must also be (or have been) classified as a local or international student.
Siblings: you and your sibling can have one or both parents in common.
Children/parents: you can be related by blood or by marriage.
Spouses: You can become eligible for this discount by marrying someone who is currently studying at the University.
We are proud to offer a range of income based and merit-based full and partial scholarships that will enable the most promising and talented young students from across the region to join our leading innovative university, despite financial adversity or economic hardship.
Early bird 2023 discount
Contact our Admissions team for further details on funding.